Aperion Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker (Pure White, Pair)
Pure White 200W RMS 2-Way Audiophile-grade Silk-Dome Aperion Intimus 5B Pair
What makes the Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker so effortlessly cool? Maybe it’s
the artful way it combines larger than life sound with an inobtrusive12 inch
tall cabinet. Flawless sound reproduction across its range comes from our 1"
audiophile-grade silk-dome tweeter, 5.25" woven-fiberglass mid-woofer. We
wrap up the sound in a handsome anti-resonant cabinet and put the final touch on
with a pure white finish.
At this feel-good price, you can afford to upgrade your music or movie therapy sessions. And you can put the Intimus 5Bs on stands, your ceiling, wall or (call us crazy) bookshelf.
- 5.25" Woven-Fiberglass woofer delivers excellent bass and lush mid-range sound
- 1" custom designed silk-dome tweeter for smooth, clearly defined highs at even the highest volume levels
- Contoured front edges and small form-factor to blend seamlessly with your décor
- Pure White finish
- Anti-resonant cabinet
- The Perfect Bookshelf David
- My brother in law is a Paradigm guy. He has a very expensive pair of bookshelves from them when I bought these. This is my second Aperion purchase. My speakers were around $300 less, and the sound quality is far superior in my opinion. With my AVR close to maxed out, there is zero distortion, and the highs never get ear piercingly uncomfortable. His speakers make me feel like my ears are going to bleed. The best part is, I could add more power to these bad boys. They really light up my sound stage, and I get some of the most subtle sounds that I never heard in my music before. I am currently using them as my fronts, so I use them for movies as well. They work perfectly! This really is an amazing speaker, and add that beautiful finish... Perfect! Thank you Aperion. (4/25/14)
- Astounding! Paul G.
- I have a pair of these that go along with a 5c, a pair of 4b surrounds and a Bravus II 8D sub. They are simply beyond belief! The sound that they produce is so pure and clear it has to be heard to be believed! The soundstage is immense as well. Whether listening to music or movies, they never fail to impress and put a smile on my face. They look as great as they sound with fantastic build quality and finish. I love the smooth rounded corners and edges. It is a work of art, for sure. The sound out of the box was good, but after the break in period-WOW! After almost 200 hrs, these babies are keepers. The staff at Aperion have been amazing and Jason Hicks helped me out with my setup immensely, never failing to respond to my endless chain of emails. Thanks Jason!
- Could not be Happier Dave M.
- I purchased these speakers alone with a center channel speaker back in April before the room they were going into was finished. I finally set up my surround sound. These speakers are awesome! The sound quality is fantastic. The craftsmanship is superior and the price is right. What else could you ask for? When the speakers were in transit to my house I received an email from customer service detailing all that they, the speakers, went through along their journey to me. I was taken back a bit as I never experienced that from other companies and probably never will. They did not need to do that however it went a long way as far as feeling important that I purchased through them. Not ever hearing the speakers before I was really hoping that they sounded great because the company seemed to care. All the reviews I read were extremely helpful in determining which center channel and front bookshelf speakers to purchase. I went with the Intimus 5C center speaker and the 5B bookshelf speakers for my front left and right and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for excellent crisp sound, quality material at a great price and very considerate and thoughtful customer service and they come with white gloves!
Dave, Holden Ma.
- Good things in small packages Mike C.
- I've had a lot of speakers over the years but these are some of the most natural sounding bookshelf speakers I've heard. The natural highs and mids make music and movies a treat. The bass doesn't disappoint. Although I've got the 5T towers in front in my 7.1 system I believe a 5.1 or 7.1 system built around these for the mains would not disappoint anybody. Well done Aperion on a well balanced affordable bookshelf.
- Great in home theater Drew F.
- I bought the 5Bs as part of a custom home theater setup... using them in the front left and right positions. They sound excellent and offer plenty of volume even in a mid-size to large/open room. Very crisp.
- Intimus 5Bs exceed expectations Tom F.
- I bought a pair of these a little over a year ago after receiving a notice that the cherry finish to match the 5C I purchased a year earlier (two years ago) was being discontinued. Had no idea these were so small, can handily fit anywhere on a bookshelf or the floor stands. These match (acoustically and finish) with the 5C and a Bravus 10D I originally purchased. They fill our family room, about 20x20 with full opening to the kitchen. I drive these with a Yamaha RX series AV amp and home theater system.
Have not experimented too much with the speaker placement, they were good to go out of the box. I made some adjustments to the Bravus output given the punch I (happily) notice in the low frequencies from the 5Bs. I run the amp 'processor direct' so no adjustments to EQ. When I get to it, the remaining pieces to finish this collection as a 5.1 system will be the rear in-wall speakers, presuming they are also well matched acoustically. I generally over-engineer the cables and I build my own, using 10-guage Dayton Audio rope-lay with these and Monster plugs purchased from PartsExpress.
Very happy, would recommend to most anyone whether looking for value/quality or even if price wasn't a determining factor. We gave all of the velvet blue bags we've collected to my wife's elementary school as a donation at Christmas.. make great Santa bags!
Staff has always been great with help before and after the sale. It's pretty apparent that they enjoy their work.
- Good sound. Robert S.
- The gang at Aperion are fantastic, they answered all my questions even if they were repeat questions. The main reason I went with Aperion was the great reviews they recieve from the various Audiophiles out there and the price. I listened to several different manufacturers at Best Buy before the purchase and then went ahead and ordered the Aperions (cant go wrong with the return policy) That way I could here them in the home.
First I am not a Audiophile, second I live in an apartment and cannot really turn up the volume on the system that I have and third this is my first surround system, but here goes the review.
My system consists of the following
Fronts: Aperion 5Bs
Center: Aperion 5C
Surrounds: Aperion 5DBs
Sub: Aperion Bravus II 10 D
The speakers are pushed by a Denon 2310CI,
The system started out with the 5Bs and the 5C when I first set these up the entire wall seemed to fill with great sound and as the speakers broke in it just got better. They became richer and fuller with time.
Next came the 5DB Surrounds. I run these in bipole as the back of the area where I am at is open to the kitchen and this setting seems to fill that area without having to purchase a 6.1 or 7.1 system. Again great sound.
The final purchase was the Bravus II 10D, wish I didnt live in an apartment but thats the way it is for now. I have the sub set up at very low volume right now but it still gives me great bass and completes the system. I still have to get the position correct but I am getting there.
If anyone is looking for a home Theater system look no further then Aperion. They have fantastic customer service and their return policy (which I do not believe you will use is an added bonus). is for a 30 day in home trial. And dont forget if you want to upgrade within a year of your purchase you can trade in your old Aperions.
- Excellent performance, unmatched quality Scott H.
- I bought these speakers for my home theater system thinking that because of the price they would be great starter speakers... boy was I wrong. Forget starter speakers, they sound as good, if not better, out of the box (paired with the Bravus, of course) with minimal calibration than my brother's $5000 Definitive system. Every sound is crystal clear, even at low volumes. The build quality is excellent as well, the polished black is flawless. I am sure happy with these speakers and would recommend them to anyone.
One final note, I'm pretty sure I overbought on these speakers to fill my room which is 12ft x 15ft.
- ranges and clarity Licn_death
- Well to start off these are for MIDS and HIGHS ((ONLY)). when set up with the 5C center the 4B bipole surrounds and the 8D duel driver sub in a 15'X15' room the outcome was staggering I've set up systems ranging from 1500$ to 100,000$ and these rank right up there with the 100,000$ JBL system i set up in a to spec theater room about 1 year ago and all i can say about aperion audio is I will own aperion when i get my theater set up. Ok now for the review on the 5B bookshelfs the Mids are crisp and full the Highs are clear and the imaging is outstanding when matched up agenst Compression horns and titanium dome tweets these silk dome tweets are the winner even when i was pushing my brother to go with some compression horns so way to go Aperion you guys are true audio masters.
- Pretty darn good from 100 Hz and above. M W.
- I've had my 5B's for over a year now and they still amaze me. I use them as front channels along with a 5C in my 5.1 setup. I watch a lot of action/scifi and these speakers never disappoint. I had some friends over to watch "Transformers" a while back and saw their reaction (mouths hanging open in ah:). But the way I enjoy my 5B's most is in 2 channel, listening to accoustic music with good vocals. They'll knock your socks off!
- SO much sound! Gregory K.
- There's a part of me that is actually fortunate that my sub arrived 2 days after the rest of my speakers (separate order). For bookshelves, these are astounding in their response. Their quality is absolutely top-notch, and I'm getting a ridiculous amount of compliments on both the look and sound. Beware, though! By buying these, you'll likely find out how poor some of your source material was recorded in! :-) I truly thought there was something wrong, when it turns out that the speakers were simply showing me the flaws in the recordings. Bravo!!
- A lot for the money Joshua R.
- I wasn't sure at first about getting aperion audio speakers but after lots of research, I finally took a chance on an aperion audio system. I chose the 5B for the front channels and i'm very impressed with the sound I got for the price I paid. There are few speakers out there that can match the sound for this price range.
- 5B as surround speakers, a really wise choice Eric B.
- So I consider myself wise... But I had to remind myself to breath when listening to my first movie over Aperion. I was astonished by the entire sound the system brought me (6T in front, 10D, 5B in the back). Now I look at my friends face when they hear the shooting part in The Matrix 1 and I have to tell them to breath as well... Aperion Rocks, great sound, great faces to see on newbies!
Eric, Montreal, Canada
- Home Theater Review of the Intimus 5B
- "There is an awful lot to like about Aperion Audio's Intimus 5B bookshelf loudspeaker, especially at $430 per pair. The build quality is superb, as is the attention to detail, such as threaded mounting points both top and back. The drivers are of high quality and the resulting sound is one that is easy to love and listen to for hours on end. "
--Andrew Robinson, Home Theater Review, April 2013
Read Full Review
- About.com Reviews the Intimus 5B Bookshelf and the Bravus 8A Subwoofer, March 2010
- About.com Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
"The 5Bs had a very satisfying sound, good for easy or critical listening. The silk dome tweeter was crisp with plenty of detail but no edginess, and the midrange sounded open and transparent with very good dynamics."
"The Intimus 5Bs are great for a modest, yet robust stereo system. That is, a modest price and a robust sound. Pair them with a receiver with 75-100 watts per channel and the Bravus 8A for a classy and affordable stereo system, or wall-mount the 5Bs as surround speakers in a home theater system."
- Gary Altunian, About.com Guide, March 2010
See the full review
- CNET Named Intimus 5B Harmony SD #3 on "Best Home Theater Speakers" List, July 2009
- System includes the Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker.
"Aperion's awesome 5.1 speaker system is pricey, but the Intimus 5B Harmony SD's great sound and superb build quality are definitely worth it."
- John P. Falcone, CNET.com, July 2009
See the full list
- Audioholics 5B Review (4.5 out of 5), July 2009
- "There is little not to like about the Intimus 5B bookshelf speaker system. The Intimus 5Bs have the ability to disappear into a room thanks to their excellent imaging capabilities and very detailed open sound. Aperion Audio proved in droves that they could combine great sound, aesthetics (score one for the wives) and build quality into a compact package that most budding audiophiles can afford. Although the color options offered are limited, Aperion Audio chose the two most commonly requested colors (cherry and gloss black) and masterfully executed the fit and finish of the cabinetry making these pieces of furniture that just happen to sound really good. Mated with a powered subwoofer, you've got audiophile performance and aesthetics on the cheap. Considering their very liberal return policy, FREE 30 day home trial program and FREE shipping (both ways) I can't say anything else other than highly recommended!"
Performance: 4.5 out of 5
Value: 4.5 out of 5
- Gene DellaSala, Audioholics.com, July 2009
Read Full Review
- Enjoy the Music Budget Speaker Shootout Review of the 5B
- "First impressions of the Intimus 5B is that they are extraordinarily well built, and boast a fit & finish that would not be out of place on speakers four times their price."
"...they delivered enough detail to be lively, but weren't so ruthlessly revealing as to spoil it. Vocals were excellent across the board on the Aperions as Natalie Merchant sounded great on Tigerlily, as did Brian Johnson on Back in Black. Electric guitars had plenty of grit and impact. The 5Bs can rock!"
- Clarke Robinson - enjoythemusic.com, May 2009
See the Full Shootout
- CNET 5B Harmony SD Review - Featuring the Intimus 5B
- The low throb of the ship's engines in the back of the home theater gave the impression the small rear Intimus 5B surround speakers were large floor-standing models. In other words, the bass didn't seem to come from the sub; it filled the entire room.
- Steve Guttenberg - CNET.com, May 2008
Read Full Review
WarrantyTen (10) years on cabinets, midrange drivers, woofers and crossover
Five (5) years on tweeters
1" Audiophile-Grade Silk-Dome Tweeter
We engineered the 1-inch,
audiophile-grade, silk-dome tweeter for optimal sonic performance—even at the
highest volume levelsso you savor warm, natural sound with no harsh aftertaste.
This tweeter’s unique venting system uses a rear chamber with multiple rear
vents outside the neodymium magnet, a departure from conventional systems that
use a single vent through the magnet’s center. Leaving the magnet fully intact
results in a stronger motor structure with a lower resonant frequency, smooth
response and amazingly pure, authentic sound. This tweeter is the high point of
5.25" Woven Fiberglass Mid-Woofer
Our custom 5.25" mid-woofer excels as the heart and soul of our 5B loudspeaker.
The cone is constructed of woven fiberglass—lightweight, rigid and ready to
amaze you with its natural bass output. Embracing the woofer is a butyl rubber
surround, which creates a compliant yet well-damped suspension that will deliver
a lifetime of performance. Lastly (only because something had to be), the
magnetically shielded driver boasts a cast aluminum frame and remarkable
frequency response. If this all sounds like Greek to you, we’ll translate:
You’ll be delighted.
Simulated Furniture-Grade Finish
Each of our speakers is beautifully finished in top-quality Cherry Wood or Black
Ash simulated wood-grain vinyl that’s the best you’ll see on any speaker,
anywhere, at this price. The cabinetry unites the acoustic qualities of the most
expensive loudspeakers with an eye-brightening aesthetic that lets these
speakers blend effortlessly into any décor.
Every Intimus 5B cabinet is made of solid 15 mm-thick medium-density fiberboard (MDF) to eliminate unwanted cabinet vibrations that muddy the sound. Muting the speaker walls ensures that the only input to your ears comes from your music, movies and games.
5-Way Gold-Plated Binding Posts
When you make a connection, it's all about convenience. Whether
you use banana plugs, bare wire, round pins, flat pins or spades, our binding
posts ensure effortless attachments to your new speakers. And though the gold
plating may make you feel regal, it has a practical purpose too: Gold resists
corrosion and provides the best possible connection to your receiver.
Acoustically Transparent Grille
Nothing stands between you and
exceptional sound. We designed a sonically invisible grille that not only looks
great, but also protects your precious speakers from curious fingers, claws,
snouts, tentacles and trunks.
Wall & Ceiling Mounting
Mount your speakers wherever you want—out of the way and outside the reach of
inquisitive children and pets. All 5B speakers come with dual 1/4" threaded
inserts on the back for ceiling or wall mounting. Industry standard spacing on
these inserts means they'll work with a variety of wall and ceiling mount
Bookshelf Mounting Options
All 5B speakers come with a 1/4" threaded insert on the bottom for securing to a bookshelf or speaker stand. Now you can mount your speakers wherever you want without worrying about them toppling over on Rover.
|Frequency Response||(+/- 3dB) 80Hz to 20,000Hz -- (+/- 6dB) 68Hz to 20,000Hz|
|Recommended Power||25-200 Watts|
|Tweeter||1" Audiophile-grade Silk-Dome Tweeter|
|Woofer||5.25" Woven-Fiberglass Mid-Woofer|
|Enclosure Type||18mm MDF, Ported|
|Dimensions||12" H x 6.75" W x 8" D|
|Placement Location||Front speakers, surround speakers|